We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
Van Isle Veterinary Hospital can provide special services in canine reproduction. Our commitment is to provide knowledgeable, professional, and punctual veterinary medical advice and services to breeders. We can also provide diagnostics and treatments for reproductive diseases in dogs and cats, as well as aide in the improvement of breeding programs.
How we help the dog breeders and kennels with healthy puppies?
At Van Isle Veterinary Hospital, we work with breeder clients and puppy owners to formulate an optimal puppy wellness program to give them the best start in life. We offer puppy vaccines, dewormer and puppy health checks to assess for inherited/developmental conditions such as heart murmurs, hernias, dental abnormalities and eye abnormalities. Your veterinarian will also work with new puppy owners to come up with the most appropriate vaccine schedule, spaying and neutering plan and nutritional recommendations.
Are you authorized for semen collection, evaluation, freezing and storage?
Here at Van Isle Veterinary, our ICSB technician has been trained and licensed by Carrol Platz of the International Canine Semen Bank in Oregon, to provide our clients with the greatest assurance of quality, consistency and reliability. The International Canine Semen Bank (ICSB) was founded by Professor Carrol C. Platz, Jr. and is based on techniques developed by Professor Platz through 35 years of research at the University of Oregon Medical School, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M University and continuing in the ICSB laboratory. ICSB and associates were first in producing litters registered by the AKC, The American Field Dog Association, the National Greyhound Association, and assisted in developing the guidelines used by these organizations for registering litters produced from frozen semen. ICSB has produced litters from frozen semen that had been stored for 34 years prior to thawing and insemination. ICSB is also a CKC and AKC compliant facility for fresh chilled and frozen semen.
What are the breeding services that the hospital provides? E.g. reproduction planning, vaginal cytology, semen collection and freezing or caesarian section.
We are proud to offer a wide variety of breeding services such as semen collection, freezing, evaluations and long-term storage; fresh chilled and frozen semen shipping and receiving, breeding timing and same day progesterone results, vaginal and surgical inseminations, C-sections, breeding soundness exams, reproductive ultrasounds, puppy wellness exams, DNA testing, OFA certifications and puppy export documentation
Do you offer OFA services?
Yes, we can offer a wide variety of OFA services such as hip and elbow radiographs, routine cardiac exams, sebaceous adenitis biopsies, thyroid testing and patella exams. In addition to OFA services we can also assist with sample collection and/or submission for genetic testing for a variety of common breed-specific conditions.
Van Isle Veterinary Hospital is super excited to be hosting our 4th annual cupcake day fundraiser! BCSPCA celebrates “Treat Week” across the Province from Feb 24th – March 1st 2020 where business, pet owners and animal lovers can bake up a storm and sell treats with the proceeds going to BC animals in need.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Friday, March 19, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a “closed waiting room” policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 250.334.8400. We will take a history of your pet from outside your car, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. Once the examination is finished, the Doctor will either call you or come out to talk to you to discuss the treatment etc for your pet. For those who do not have a mobile phone, an easy knock at the door will work the same way!
2. We are continuing to accept appointments for urgent or sick pets, as well as time-sensitive puppy/kitten vaccinations. All other services will be scheduled for a later time.
3. We are OPEN and temporarily operating as a 24-hour hospital.
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment over the phone. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the Online Store, visit our website.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
6. Online consultations are now available! If you wish to connect with a veterinarian via message, phone or video, visit our website and follow the "Online Consultation" link.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our roles. As such, we have taken measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid and any updates will be provided as changes occur.
- Your dedicated team at Van Isle Veterinary Hospital