Did you know there are currently over 7,400 registered veterinary technicians (RVTs) across Canada and 9 of them work right here at Van Isle Veterinary Hospital!
Our Veterinary Technicians are crazy about your pets and they all have the same shared desire; to provide pets with the best possible health care and help them to live happy, healthy lives. Our Veterinary Technicians assist our veterinarians and our clients every day but did you know they have several responsibilities within the Veterinary Hospital?
Our Veterinary Technician’s role includes:
- Anesthesia and Analgesia (induction and monitoring of general anesthetics, monitoring and controlling pain)
- Clinical Pathology and Laboratory Procedures (sample collection, testing and analysis)
- Emergency Care
- Dentistry – including scaling and polishing, charting the mouth with the veterinarian and digital dental x-ray.
- Animal Husbandry – the daily care and attention with each and every individual pet who is admitted to our practice. Includes medicating, monitoring, ensuring comfort from pain, fed, watered and walked frequently as well as communication with owners while their pet is in our care.
- Administration and maintenance of I.V. and subcutaneous fluids
- Nutritional consults and guidance
- Diabetic consults, glucose readings and client support
- Surgery assistant (prepping, monitoring and recovering the patient)
- Animal Behavior
- Euthanasia support and assistance
- Radiology, Endoscopy and Ultrasound
- Bandage changes, suture removal and splint care
- Ear cleaning, toenail trims and anal gland expression
- Lots of snuggles, hugs and kisses!!! (sorry owners…this is reserved for the pets only)
We could not do what we do every day without the knowledge, skill and compassion of our Veterinary Technicians. We are constantly wowed and lucky to have them! Are you interested in becoming an RVT and think you have what it takes to improve pet’s lives?
Submitted by Van Isle Veterinary Hospital